Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
Here in Michigan when we have months where our weather is colder it is highly important to treat how we manage our water sources inside our homes and commercial businesses. Here are a few tips:
- Whether a new home buyer or not. One of the first things you should know, is where your turn off handle is to any water source in your home or business. Mark it with something bright or a hanging tag and write on it: Water to inside. Water to outside.
- Make sure you turn the water off to the outside as the weather becomes colder. This is to prevent pipes from bursting.
- If you suspect any leaking water it is better to assume there may be a problem. When calling SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale we can direct you in how to proceed with what to do.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (248) 246-0790
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.